J.M. NORTHUP's BLOG

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Eileen Thornton's New Release!

WIPs and New Releases

1)      Tell us about your work-in-progress, or WIP, as it’s known as in the industry or New Release…
Ø  What is the story about?
·   My latest published novel is Murder on Tyneside, a sort of cozy murder mystery that is set in my hometown.
·   The story tells of a widow who suddenly decides to revisit the area she was born. Not having been back to Tyneside since her family moved away when she was schoolgirl, she was interested to see the changes, which had taken place over the years.
·   But suddenly, jewellery goes missing from the hotel where she is staying and the police are called in. As it turns out, the DCI, who is in charge of the case, attended the same school all those years ago and they rekindle their friendship.
·   Agnes, a Miss Marple fan, decides she wants to help the police solve the thefts, but when a body is found, the DCI becomes concerned for her safety.
Ø  Who is the main character?
·   There are two main characters – Agnes Lockwood, the widow, and Alan Johnson, the DCI. Though having said that, I suppose Agnes is the real main character, as she always insists on having the final word.
2)     What inspired this tale?
Ø  How did the story come to you?
·   I suddenly decided to write a murder mystery instead of another romance novel. I think I wanted a change, and a murder seemed a good idea.
·   Once that was decided, I felt I would like to set it in my hometown as I know it so well – even though I haven’t lived there for many years.
·   After all, it is said that you should write about what you know.
Ø  Did you have to research for this novel and if so, why?
·   I didn’t really need to do much research, as I kept it quite light-hearted. I didn’t want to dig deep into how police investigations progressed. Anything I needed to know, I simply looked up online. In most cases, it was to find out whether certain things in the Tyneside area were still open to the public.
Ø  If you did research, what do you think surprised you most to learn and why?
·   I think I was only surprised to learn that the towers supporting the Tyne Bridge were no longer open to the public. I’m sure a number of people would be interested to see the structure inside.
·   Many years ago, there used to be a lift, which took people from the bridge above to the Sunday Market on the quayside below. I believe the cost of the ride was one penny. (Now I am showing my age L)
3)     Do you relate to your character?
Ø  Is your protagonist anything like you personally?
·   No, not really.
·   That said, thinking it through, I suppose we both have an inquiring nature. After all, Agnes had to get her curiosity and stubbornness from someone.  J
Ø  What made you write this character; what made them important to you or made you want to tell their story?
·   As the novel centered on a woman, I felt she needed to be strong and have a mind of her own. Someone who wasn’t going to be fobbed off by anyone – not even the police. Agnes was the right person for the story.
·   There were times, when I was floundering, she took over and showed me which direction she wanted the story to go. Don’t you just love it when that happens?
4)    Is there anything you specific want readers to know about this piece of work?
·   I would simply like the readers to know that I really enjoyed writing this novel. I loved writing about Tyneside. There were times when I could see actually myself in the scenes as the story unfolded.
5)     When will the novel be available for purchase?
·   Murder on Tyneside was published at the beginning of 2017.
Ø  Do you have a link as to where readers can buy it?
·   Should anyone be interested in reading the novel, the link below will take them straight to the correct page on Amazon, no matter which country they live in:
·   I do hope they enjoy it.


Thank you, Julie, for giving me the chance to talk about my latest novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

NORNS TRIAD PUBLICATIONS' BLOG