J.M. NORTHUP's BLOG

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Mother-Daughter Date Night

20 Ideas To Help A Mom Connect With Her Daughter

I thought it would be cool to do a blog related to my daughters.
I saw this photo online and it inspired me.
Here are my top 20 ideas for cool mother-daughter outings and activities which I have done with my own daughters through the years:
1.       Go for a walk
Ø  You don’t have to have a lot of money to enjoy time together.  Something I always loved to do with my own mother and which I perpetuated in my relationship with my daughters was the simple act of taking a walk together.
Ø  This allowed us to disconnect from the world while actively embracing it.  I mean, it pulled us all away from televisions, radios, phones, and whatever else can pose a distraction in life and took us outside.  We had uninterrupted conversations while we enjoyed the flowers, trees, sky, and earth.
2.       Go on a bike ride together
Ø  A fun way that I spent time with my daughters was to go on family bike rides.  This allowed us to get exercise while enjoying time together.  Granted, this activity can pose some obstacles when it comes to conversing, but you can still enjoy nature and time together.  Also, you can go to further destinations where you can have a picnic or enjoy a moment together, sharing the joy of life.
Ø  I often rode bikes to the state park with my daughters.  We would ride the trails and then stop to enjoy the nature center, life along the Mississippi River, and even elements of urban life, such as aircraft and architecture.
3.       Have a meal together
Ø  Whether you make something at home or eat out at your favorite restaurant, a meal together can encourage deep discussions while allowing you to indulge in fine cuisines.  Perhaps you can try a new food together or share a favorite with one another?
4.       Bake together
Ø  Haa haa – yeah, all my friends just laughed really hard when they read this one, but I actually have baked with my kids!  I didn’t say I enjoyed baking, but I enjoyed the fun with my daughters!  After all, who doesn’t remember enjoying making Rice Krispie Treats with their mom or Christmas cookies?  The cookies don’t have to be from “scratch” either.  What I liked was to get the pre-done dough and just bake them with my kids and then decorate them!
5.       Crafts
Ø  Find a craft you are all interested in or try different crafts each time.  You could color in a coloring book even – you don’t have to spend a lot of money.  It isn’t so much about the craft itself as it is the creativity and shared memory.
Ø  I often painted with my kids.  We often made our crafts into gifts that were also serviceable.  For example, we got a 3-pack of canvas bags from the craft store which we decorated with fabric paints.  We went and bought simple baby gifts that all new mothers’ need and filled the bags up with them.  Then we donated the bags for new moms.
6.       Movie Night
Ø  Make a night where you have a cool family movie night!  Get excited about it.  Pick a movie together or everyone select a movie to share and have a movie marathon.  Get your favorite box candies, pop some popcorn, and stock up on your favorite beverage.  Get your favorite jammies on and snuggle together, wrapped in your best cuddle blankets!
7.       Share a great book
Ø  A lot of parents read to their children when they are little or have their youngsters read to them.  That doesn’t have to stop with age.  The love of literature is a blessing and just like they did in days of old, you can read together, sharing your favorite tales!
Ø  This is a good way to expand your mind and to share interesting people, places, and things with your daughters that you might not otherwise get to.  I mean, where else can you find a dragon hoarding gold or a magic school bus that can transport you into different things?
8.       Go to the museum
Ø  My daughters and I love going to the museum together!  It didn’t matter to us if it was the free art museum or the more costly science museum.  We did cool treasure hunts and talked about the things we seen or did.  Sometimes we were so inspired that we even did additional research on the computer together when we got home or at our local library!
9.       Go to the zoo
Ø  Zoos can be free or they may have an entry fee; either way, you have a different adventure together every time!  There is always something interesting to see at the zoo, whether you are enjoying an exhibit or just people watching.  This is also another good way to unplug from our world of technology, get our bodies into motion, get our minds exploring, and fueling conversations you might not otherwise have!
10.   Go shopping
Ø  Now, hear me out before you judge.  I am NOT advocating shopping-shopping, though I am not ruling it out either.  Some mothers and daughters really love and bond over shoes, hand bags, and clothes.  I am not that mother, though I think my daughters would’ve liked it I had been.  
Ø  Taking the time to bring your kids with you on normal family errands, such as grocery shopping, can really be excellent opportunities to bond.  Not only can you educate your children about finances and making sound decisions when it comes to consumer products, you can share preferences while making your daughter feel more involved in the overall well-being of the family unit.  Shopping together can be a good way to reduce your stress with the normal demands a mother faces while including her daughter in the process so that she can become a wise shopper and understand the toils of motherhood.
Ø  Your daughter’s involvement in regular mundane activities will not only give you more time together in your busy lives, but it will make her understand your responsibilities more.  It will give her a sense of responsibility and maturity because you are including her in basic choices about her diet and home.  It is a good way to open up the floor for conversations about scents, flavors, and options.
The time a mother spends with her daughters is vital.
You are the example to which she will base the standard for being a mother, wife, and woman on, so you need to be sure that you invest in that responsibility.
It doesn't matter how much something costs or what name is on it, it only matters that you took the time to share it together!


No comments:

Post a Comment

NORNS TRIAD PUBLICATIONS' BLOG