J.M. NORTHUP's BLOG

Monday, June 8, 2020

Author Joyita Basak

My Interview with Joyita Basak!

Welcome, Joyita.  I’ve read some of your other interviews (one in particular is with myfriend, Fiona McVie), and I’m excited to learn more about you and your debut novel, I Still Love You.  Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share a moment with me and my readers!
1.     I always start my interviews with the same question.  Therefore, please tell us how you’d describe yourself?
I am Joyita Basak, a writer from Kolkata, India. I am a blogger behind itsmycopyright.com I am a final year student of Engineering, and currently I am working with various productions as content writer. I have started my blogging journey back in 2015 and I have published my debut book “I still love you” in August 2019. I basically try to write in the genre of romantic thriller and something related to realistic plots. I try to write few more novels based on detective stories in near future.
2.     You are involved with so many things.  In addition to being an avid reader and NASA enthusiasts, you’re a ComputerScience/Engineering student, fashion designer, artist, blogger, translator/interpreter, scriptwriter, and novelist.  I am sure I’ve missed something in there LOL 😊 You’re quite accomplished!
·        Let’s talk about your blogging.  How many blogs do you have, what are they about, and where can readers find them?
o   I own two blogs, one is dedicated for my writing purposes and another is just a showcase of my paintings.
Ø  There are many types of writing, as you know, and each requires different skill sets.  In your opinion, how does blogging differ from script writing or creative writing?
§ Yes, I follow different procedures for different kinds of writing. For a scriptwriting, the language needs to be softer one while for creative writing you can truly write your hearts out. But for any write-ups for blogging require a format, the shorter aspect of blog should be attractive to grab attention of the readers. While in case of creative writing the format should be quite descriptive.
v   These are quite different from the technical or academic writing required of a student.  How has your education impacted the way you approach your blogs?
*     Yes, I hope so, I have been into research things out for a while, so I think the readings and education has impacted on my writing enough. I have been habituated with the circumstances which I pen down in my novels.
v   How has it affected your creative writing?  Did it pose any challenges, or did it help in the editing process?
*     While I used to have regular classes at college, it was very challenging to make space for writing, but I hope I can manage things well. So, during my course too, I have continued my love for my passion which helped me to write every day.
Ø  Do you think blogging has helped develop you as a writer?  If so, how?
§ Yes, true, I have been running my blog since 2015, so while I got myself accustomed with any kind of writing in my blog specifically book reviews and covering book launch, it was easier for me to write a novel.  Whether it be the sense of writing or the way to portray a fact or a scene, blogging helped me develop my writing skills.
·        You write scripts for the film industry in India.  How did you get involved with that?
o   I have been writing few stories for films for last few years, being a film buff, I have always been attached to few directors and producers from the industry. So, that’s how I conveyed my idea to them, so that they can incorporate my views in their work.
Ø  What productions have you worked on, and are you working on any currently?
§ Right now, I am working for TentCinemas along with their tv shows collaborated with Sony and ZEE. I have few scripts for web shows also, which will be releasing very soon.
·        You are involved with many areas of writing.  Do you have a favorite one?  Why, or why not?
o   Yes, I love to write bookreviews, being a book worm since ages, I love to review them. I finish a book in a week, so whenever I complete reading a book, I try to share my feelings about the thinking I have developed.
·        What ultimately made you decide to not only write a book, but to publish it?
o   Last year, when I thought of finishing a novel, I thought of publishing it. It came over my mind quite instantly, within a month of finishing the manuscript, I mailed the synopsis to publishers.
Ø  With all the available ways to publish, why did you opt to use a publisher, and how did you select them?
§ I was looking for best publishers for a debut author, I found few and mailed them all the details. Within a month or so, Blue Rose Publishers mailed me back that they loved my story and they want to publish it.
Ø  If you could do anything different, would you, and what would it be and why?
§ Being a debut author, every experience was very new to me, I wasn’t aware of promotions or other marketing strategies. So, now after a year or so, I have gone through the phase of publishing once, so if I would do it now again, it would have been a better procedure.
3.     Reviews matter to some and not to others for different reasons.  Traditionally published authors don’t need to worry about their reviews or ratings.  However, Indie authors do because this directly affects promotional opportunities.  Some don’t read reviews because they cannot handle the emotional roller coaster while others thrive on them, gaining inspiration and strength from both good and bad.  I am interested to learn your views on these.
·        Do you read your book reviews?  Why, or why not?
o   Yes, I read my book reviews. It helps me to write better every day. While I get positive reviews, I feel mesmerized but when I get few negative reviews, they help me to modify my mistakes.
Ø  Have your gotten any negative reviews, and if so, how do you process them?
§ Yes, I have gotten one negative review, it pointed out few mistakes I made. I have tried to correct those.
·        Before you published, did you care about reviews?
o   No, being a debut author, when my first novel was getting published, I only thought about the book launch day. I was much excited in the pre-production procedure.
Ø  Has your opinion changed since your book release?  Why, or why not?
§ Yes, my opinion has changed much since my book release. Previously I was much consistent about the whole procedure of publishing. But while my novel released, I used to think that writing is the hardest part. But after experiencing the process, I find writing has become easier, in fact the promotional activities are much harder.
·        Has the way you read or written reviews been altered from your experiences as an author?  If so, how, and why?
o   No, I think it’s been the same, while writing book reviews in past, I felt connected with the reality of the novel, still I find the same way. If I can’t even connect with my readers, I hope it’s not going to be a good novel at all.
·        Is there anything you’d like readers to know or understand about book reviews, and why?
o   Yes, I hope everyone finds for a positive review of any book, so I would definitely praise my readers to have a glimpse of my novel.
4.     In this section of questions, I’d like to discuss your view on the literary industry.  I think you have a unique view, considering you have seen so many sides, and that you’ll have cool insights for us. 😊
·        How do you think blogging has helped with the development of the internet?
o   Yes, I hope the reach to people is much higher in the case of blogging.
Ø  Do you think blogging is a useful tool or an art form?  Why, or why not?
§ Yes, everyone can express themselves in their blog, it’s not possible for every writer to publish their novels at the early stage of their career, but they can pen down any random thoughts anytime in the blog.
Ø  Do you feel blogging has impacted the literary world in any way?  If so, how?
§ Yes, I feel blogging has impacted the literary world, the way the bloggers can express their literary thoughts, it’s quite helpful.
·        What do you prefer; ebook or paperback, and why?
o   I prefer paperback, I have been reading books since childhood and the paperback books gives an immense feeling to the readers. I am not a very fan of e-books, I am always a fan of paperbacks.
Ø  Do you think ebooks and audiobooks are the future, or will there always be a place for paperbacks?  What makes you think the way you do?
§ For me, I will always prefer paperbacks, though with the developing literary sectors, e-book or audio books can be a better future, anyone can read at any moment of time with the help of audiobooks.
·        There’s a lot of talk about attention span.  Do you think this is a real concern?  Why, or why not?
o   Yes, I think attention span is an essential part of our lives, the span of time we get involved with work is really necessary.
Ø  Do you think short stories, anthologies, and flash fiction is the up and coming trend?  Why, or why not?
§ Yup, now a days when everyone is preferring short stories much more than a full-length novel and with the help of social media, anyone can post their thoughts. So, they are truly a trend.
Ø  When it comes to novels, do you feel short chapters are better, or long chapters with section/scene dividers, and why?
§ I hope short chapters are better, but being just a novel old, I really have to experience much to answer this.
5.     What can we expect to see from you over the coming year?
I will be completing few of my scripts.
·        What is your current work-in-progress (or WIP)?
o   I am currently working on a series of short stories based on the golden beauty of Kolkata.
·        What is the best way for readers to connect with you?
o   My twitter and Facebook account. I am mostly online.
6.     Though your book, I Still Love You, is available on Amazon, it isn’t on Amazon.com.  Will it be made available on this platform?
It will be available very soon.
·        If yes, when?
o   By the month of August probably.
·        Also, will it be made available in a digital format?
o   Yes, e-book will be available very soon.
Thanks again.  You’re an intriguing and talented young woman with a bright future.  Whatever you opt to pursue, I have no doubt you’ll success with grace, beauty, and skill.  Be safe, healthy, and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

NORNS TRIAD PUBLICATIONS' BLOG