J.M. NORTHUP's BLOG

Friday, May 22, 2020

The Highwayman Series by M.J. Preston

Book Spotlight

1)     What is the title of your books?
HIGHWAYMAN/FOUR Book one & two in the series are a single story.
Ø  What is the story about?
·  A serial killer named Lance Belanger, aka Highwayman, who aspires to be the most infamous killer of all time.
·  In book one we follow his early beginnings, how he perfects his craft of murder and dismemberment and how he manages to elude law enforcement.
·  In book two, investigators tighten the net as they follow the Highwayman on a killing spree of mass murder.
Ø  Who is the main character?
·  In the beginning, Lance starts out as the main character, but as the story progresses we shift to his pursuer, special agent Dave Maxwell of the FBI.
2)     What inspired this tale?
Ø  How did the story come to you?
·  It was originally inspired by a nightmare my wife had.
Ø  Did you have to research for this novel, and if so, what and why?
·  Yes, plenty of research. As I was delving into a world in which real killers are hunted investigators, I had to do a great deal of research to understand and explain the enigma of serial murder and how law enforcement tracks these monsters.
Ø  If you did research, what do you think surprised you most to learn, and why?
·  I was surprised by what I learned, but not in a grand epiphany.  More like tidbits. I learned an awful lot about the hundreds of serial killers I researched. Common threads, uncommon threads, demographics. And then there were the myths surrounding investigative techniques of law enforcement. The misconception that a profiler is akin to a psychic. Research dispelled much of that and painted a clearer picture.
3)     Do you feel your character is relatable for readers of all ages?
No. Not for young people below the teen years.
These two novels encapsulate some pretty horrible stuff. Murder, dismemberment, necrophilia, animal torture, not for the faint of heart.
Ø  Is your protagonist anything like you personally?
ü   If yes, then how?
o   All my characters get some piece of me. But not all of me. I identify with them on some levels and that makes it easier to write about them.
Ø  What made you write this character; were they based on a real person or something that inspired you?
·  Tough question. It is almost as much a surprise for me as it is for the reader. For me, characters come to life as the story unfolds. Who they are, their vice and grace usually don’t come out until I get to know them better.
Ø  Do you consider the main character to be good or bad, and why?
·  Depends on what point in the story we are at. In HIGHWAYMAN, we focus on the Highwayman and he is bad, but there is a wit to his darkness. While we can’t identify with a man who dismembers people when they are alive, that doesn’t mean we can’t laugh at his jokes.
Ø  What’s the objective of your character?
·  There are two objectives. Highwayman wants infamy. A byproduct of the killing. His pursuer, Maxwell, wants to stop him, and to understand what turns a normal human being into a ruthless killer.
4)     Is there anything specific you’d like readers to know about this piece of work?
Yes, I wrote it for you. It took me a couple years and I really want you to read it. Writing is a tough gig, and without you, the reader, the story is untold. Crack open that story and let’s go for a ride.
Ø  Is there a moral or idea you’re trying to convey – if yes, what and why?
·  No. I’ll leave that to the keyboard commando’s and the evangelicals. I have no agenda. I just want to tell you stories.
5)     Is this novel a standalone?
It is a part of a series, but the first two books are a single story and that is why I presented them the way they are. The series is called: The Highwayman Series, but as it progresses to the next book it will tell a completely different story using some of the characters from the first two books.
Ø  If it is included in a series or collection, what is the name and which installment is it?
·  As stated above: HIGHWAYMAN and FOUR are Book 1 & 2 in the series.
Ø  If it is the first installment of a series or collection, when can we expect to see the next book published?
·  I am presently working on Book 3, but can’t forecast a release date yet.
Ø  If it is a part of a book series or collection, can it be enjoyed as a standalone novel or must it be read sequentially to experience the full realm of the tale?
·  I would recommend that readers read the first two Highwayman books in order. Future Highwayman books will be standalone.
6)     Where can readers connect with you and purchase your book?
·       The best way to connect with me is by visiting my website: http://mjpreston.net
·       My amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/MJ-Preston/e/B005JTQMZY/
·       Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mj.preston.9


  
Paperback                                 Audiobook                                       eBook      
  
 Paperback                                 Audiobook                                       eBook      

No comments:

Post a Comment

NORNS TRIAD PUBLICATIONS' BLOG