J.M. NORTHUP's BLOG

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Meet DAHLIA from C.L. Schneider's NITE FIRE: Flash Point!

MEET MY CHARACTER

1.      Who are you?
o   What is your name?
·   Dahlia Nite
o   Are you a fictional or historical character?
·   Fictional
o   What should we know about you?
·   I’m not human. Nor am I from this world. I’m a lyrriken, a shapeshifter; the product of a human female and a male dragon in human form. 
·   Lyrriken can shift into human as well as a dragon-hybrid form. The latter is more human-like in shape than dragon, but with scales, increased strength and senses, as well as wings, tails, horns, ridges, and other physical dragon attributes. We are graced with the longevity, slow aging, and the rapid healing of our dragon fathers. Other more ‘magical’, yet diluted, traits are passed down to us as well. I’ve been given the ability to generate and control fire. I’m also empathic. I can see and feel the trauma others have suffered, as well as the impression that great suffering has left upon the land. It’s a handy skill when solving a murder, but it can be far from pleasant.
·   The existence of parallel worlds has been hidden from humans since the first tear in the veil between worlds was discovered by the dragons eons ago. Myths and legends were spun to cover up the incursions of different species into the human realm. Some worlds are aware, others are not. Keeping the secret from those more advanced and formidable is paramount to the future of all.
·   I do my part by traveling the human world, hunting the creatures that slip in from other worlds and cover up the mess they leave behind. But I wasn’t always a supernatural crime scene cleaner. Ninety-seven years ago, I was a high-ranking member of the Guild on Drimera. I was an executioner for the dragon-queen, Naalish.  Then one, fateful night, it all changed, and here I am.

2.      Tell us about your story:
o   When and where is your tale set?
·   Most of my story is set in the present day in Sentinel City, a fictitious, riverside city somewhere on the East Coast of America.
·   Sentinel City is an urban sprawl, challenged by crime, a deep division between rich and poor, and incidents of unexplained supernatural activity.
·   I will also be visiting other, parallel worlds throughout this story and the series, including my home world of Drimera.
o   What is your personal goal?  I mean, what do you ultimately want?
·   Since coming to the human world, I have lived a life of deception. I’ve traveled the country, assuming one false identity after another; lying about myself for so long, I’m not sure who I am anymore. Have I become too human? Have I lost my edge, my identity? I want to settle down, live a normal life, and be accepted for who I am. I want to stop the lies.
·   And I need to understand what brought me to this place. Why did my empathic gifts emerge out of nowhere and force me to flee Drimera? Why am I the only lyrriken to see the rips in the veils between worlds?
·   I want to protect the fragile balance of peace the humans don’t even know exists. For if they discovered Drimera and the other worlds, rich with resources and potential, it would lead to nothing but death and destruction. Few would survive on any world.

o   What is standing in your way?  What conflict(s) do you face?
·   If what I am, and what we are, becomes known, it will threaten the existence of my home and many others. What do humans do when faced with something they can’t explain or understand? What does fear make them do? How would they feel if they knew the dragons had been using human woman to produce my kind for countless years? And without them, lyrriken would cease to exist.
·   Unfortunately, the more time passes and the more civilizations advance, the harder it is to pass facts off as fantasy. One day, sooner than any of us are ready for, it will be impossible.  Until then, while I don’t always agree with the dragon’s methods or beliefs, I have no choice but to uphold the secrets they keep.

3.      How do I get a copy of your book?
o   What is the title or working title for this piece?
o   Is it available now or when can we except to see it released?
·   Flash Point is available now for pre-order – the eBook will follow in early March.

·   As always, you can purchase signed copies by contacting C. L. Schneider through her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NORNS TRIAD PUBLICATIONS' BLOG