J.M. NORTHUP's BLOG

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

My Review of WHEN THE WORDS ARE SPOKEN

Book Two in
The HEARTS IN WINTER Chronicles
Written by Simone Beaudelaire


When the Words are Spoken (The Hearts in Winter Chronicles, #2)When the Words are Spoken by Simone Beaudelaire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A Smart Romance!
This is the second book in the Hearts in Winter series and, just like the first, it is filled with heart-break and hope. It was nice to visit with characters I grew to love in the first book and to meet new characters to love as well. Though this book can certainly be read as a stand alone, I would recommend you read the series and in order. It will only serve to enhance your overall experience and to draw you into the world of the Murphy family!
Being a writer, I enjoyed the literary elements to this tale. It was a smart story and though I sometimes felt emotionally disengaged, it fit and made perfect sense. Simone creates such vivid characters that my own moments of disconnect seemed to parallel the awkwardness of Sheridan and Michael when the faced uncertain moments and seemed disengaged themselves. It was actually quite brilliant and it worked beautifully with the story. I felt more in tune with Sheridan and Michael because of it.
Another aspect I enjoyed was the role-reversals in the main protagonists. It was nice to see an empowered woman, assured of her love for a man she adores, take charge and teach him how beautiful life can be, especially considering the scars that marred them. Equally broken, Sheridan and Michael have their own strengths and weaknesses, but the greatest thing they have is their love. That is a powerful message.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

NORNS TRIAD PUBLICATIONS' BLOG