J.M. NORTHUP's BLOG

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

J.M. Northup's Current WIP - REVIVED (Snoqualmie Valley Sasquatch Book 1)

AUTHOR WIPs and NEW RELEASES


1)      Tell us about your work-in-progress, or WIP, as it’s known as in the industry or New Release…
My current WIP is a novel entitled, REVIVED.  It is Book 1 in my new young adult series, Snoqualmie Valley Sasquatch.
Ø  What is the story about?
The story is about two young lovers who struggle to connect.  They are trying to overcome prejudice and fear in order to bridge two worlds.
Ø  Who is the main character?
The main characters are Adam and the almost identical cousins, Jenna and Hannah.
2)      What inspired this tale?
Ø  How did the story come to you?
I wanted to write a story based on the Coastal Salish Native American Indian’s belief of Sasquatch.  More so, I wanted to write a love story that would show the difficulties of overcoming negative attitudes, but one which transcended race or culture.  I also wanted to show how knowledge can change perception.
Ø  Did you have to research for this novel and if so, why?
I did have to research elements contained in the story.  I had to look at Bigfoot lore and medical data in order to make a cohesive tale.  I always like my fiction to be based in truth to anchor it.
Ø  If you did research, what do you think surprised you most to learn and why?
I think the thing that surprised me most was the discovery that not all “sasquatch” creatures are truly Sasquatch or what we know as Bigfoot.  I also enjoyed the variances in what the different Native American cultures believed.
3)      Do you relate to your character?
Ø  Is your protagonist anything like you personally?
I would say there are elements of my personality in all the characters I write.  However, in this particular tale, I would say Jenna is probably the most like me personally. 
Ø  If yes, then how?
Jenna and I both tend to overlook our blessings and focus too much on her insecurities.  We often don’t realize how strong we really are, but we unconsciously find our strength and courage when we need it most.
Ø  If no, how do you differ from one another?
Hannah and I are very different from one another.  Though I admire her relaxed manner and the way she can just roll with things, I am not carefree.  I also think Hannah has a natural charisma which draws people to her that I personally lack.
Ø  Adam and I are also very different, I think.  He has integrity about him and a selflessness which I wish I had.  I aspire to be more like him and I find myself writing him so he is the ideal I wish I were.  Of course, he isn’t perfect, but it is his desire to grow beyond his flaws which make me love him all the more.  I really love his sense of responsibility and ownership.
Ø  What made you write these characters; what made them important to you or made you want to tell their story?
I felt it was important to write a story showing unconventional beauty.  I wanted to push my readers to love my characters no matter how they looked.  I guess this was my version of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST in some ways, but I think this is a more modern rendition with a unique approach to an old classic.
4)      Is there anything you specific want readers to know about this piece of work?
The hardest part for me in writing this story was deciding how to explain how Sasquatch could be “human” and yet still possess the supernatural ability of invisibility which the Coastal Salish Indians believed they had.  I really hope my readers enjoy what I came up.
5)      When will the novel be available for purchase?
I am in the final draft of the manuscript and hope to have it in post-production by the end of the month.  I am shooting for a May release, but you can expect to see it available for purchase by June, at the latest.

HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment

NORNS TRIAD PUBLICATIONS' BLOG