J.M. NORTHUP's BLOG

Friday, August 1, 2014

Jose Lozano: My Author Interview

An Author, Poet, and Blogger

I made the acquaintance of a fellow writer through one of the writing groups on Facebook.  He was a very kind and thoughtful person, who was offering to interview authors as a means to help get them and their works noticed.  As a person who believes in helping each other out, encouraging one another in this competitive field, I not only accepted his offer, but made one of my own.
Thankfully, Jose agreed to being interviewed, as well as interviewing me.
And just like that, a new friendship was born!

My Interview with JOSE LOZANO
·         As with all my interviews, I will begin by asking you to please describe yourself in your own words.
o   I would describe myself as a quiet person when you first meet me, but a goofball when I’m comfortable around you. I tend to be joking and smiling all day and try not to let anything bother me. I will always look at the bright side of things and know that everything happens for a reason.
o   I am an easy person to talk to and am always willing to help out my friends with whatever I can. I don’t hold grudges, but I also don’t forget when someone has wronged me or my friends.
·         I have read that you have many short stories and over 30 works of poetry.  Are these available for purchase in any form (i.e. anthologies or other collections) and if so, what and where can we get them?
o   So far the only works that are available for purchase is one book entitled “CUPID”, but I will be releasing a few more in the next few months.
·         Do you have a specific writing genre for your short stories?  Why or why not?  Is your preferred genre influenced by the literature you enjoy reading?  If so, why or why not?
o   For my stories I tend to stick to the Horror/Thriller genre. I stick to that genre because I grew up reading books by Stephen King, Edgar Allan Poe, and Agatha Christie. I would also spend my summers at a friend’s house, watching every horror movie we could get our hands on. We used to rent about eight movies a night and stay up watching them all, then would go back to the video store to return them and get eight more.
·         Who has influenced you the most in your writing career and what inspires you to write?  Do you have a writing regime or anything quirky you’d like to share?
o   Most of my influence during my writing career has come from reading about my favorite author, Stephen King, and knowing that even he had a hard time getting noticed. I know it is easy to give up when nothing is going the way you want it, but I have learned by hearing his story, along with other authors, that patience is a virtue.
o   My inspiration to write comes from everywhere. It could be just a random thought that pops in my head and won’t get out, or it could be something I am currently going through. Inspiration is everywhere for me.
o   Something quirky when I am writing is that I always have to have a Dr. Pepper and a bag of either Flaming Hot Cheetos or Flaming Hot Cheetos Puffs by my side when I’m writing.  If I don’t have them, I won’t be able to concentrate. LOL
·         What are you working on now?
o   Right now I am working on a story that is a compilation of four of my previously written works. I recently got an idea of how to intertwine them and every time I think of it, I get chills. I will divulge that it will have a nice little twist to it and I hope my readers enjoy it.
·         I know you maintain a blog (http://atking77.weebly.com/); can you tell us more about it?  What inspired you to become a blogger?  What sort of topics do you enjoy posting about?
o   My blog is called “The King’s Voice” and I started the blog because I found that there are a lot of writers, such as myself, who are trying to get their names out there. I figured if I have the means I should help them get their voices heard. So in addition to that, I started “King’s Court”, which is where I put up the interviews other authors have graciously done for me in hopes that their voices can be heard and they can get more exposure.  So if any writer would like to participate, all they have to do is let me know! 
o   I enjoy posting about anything pretty much. Usually, it is just whatever is running through my head and I can’t get out. It serves as a release for me.
·         Poetry is a tough style to pursue as a career.  What have you personally experienced?  Are there things you’d do differently, if you could?  Do you have any advice for budding poets?
o   With poetry I have experienced that it needs to come from the heart. Poetry is something that not everyone will understand at first, but its ok. A poem is a deeply personal thing and just because someone doesn’t relate to it that doesn’t mean it isn’t good. 
o   As far as my poetry goes, I wouldn’t change anything.
o   My advice to budding poets is to write what you feel. Don’t force it. For me, poetry is a release, a way of getting your emotions out and a way to release some stress.
·         Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
o   In the next five years I see myself as a full time writer of not only short stories, but also poetry. I would like to be driving all over the place, rushing from one city to another as I try to get to my next book signing in time. Who knows, maybe I will even have a movie based on one of my stories out. All I am going to say is, be on the lookout for A.T. King!

·         Thank you so much for your time!  I appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to interview you and I look forward to discovering your more about your work!
Click picture to be linked to Amazon
where you can buy CUPID

Other links to connect with Jose Lozano with:




If you are interested in the interview that Jose did with me, you can check it out at http://atking77.weebly.com/jm-northup.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

NORNS TRIAD PUBLICATIONS' BLOG